- Now more widely available, ipe (E-pay) is a durable teak-like tropical hardwood sold as Ironwood or Pau Lope (pow LOW-pay).
- Twice as strong as oak,
- More durable than redwood and cedar.
- All grades are virtually knot-free.
- Tight grain patterns make this wood impervious to water.
- Another tropical hardwood option is cambara; it’s less durable than ipe but also knot-free.
- Requires pre-drilling for fasteners resulting in higher labor costs.
- Availability: Ipe is available in most standard dimensions, including 5/456 in. for deck tops and 2-by dimensions for handrails, joists and posts. But delivery can take up to three weeks.