- Virtually indestructible,
- Blend 30 to 50 percent recycled plastic with wood fibers for skid resistance and stainability.
- Low-maintenance, and resists rot, insects and UV rays.
- Splinter-free and easy to work with.
- Deck screws sink in and disappear.
- Some composite lumber has a plastic appearance, and
- some colors fade over time.
- During construction, sawdust and shavings must be collected in a drop cloth because they aren’t biodegradable.
- Not all composite lumber can span traditional 16- or 24-in. joist spacing; narrower joist layout may be needed, boosting cost.
- Some building codes don’t allow composite lumber; check with your building department before ordering.